"The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply uncomfortable, unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments, propelled by our discomfort, that we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers." -M. Scott Peck

Friday, August 26, 2011

Decision Time

My Hero and I make all big decisions together.  And most small ones.  We talk about everything that requires any type of time commitment, money, or family involvement.  We are almost always on the same page and can quickly talk through and make a decision that we're both happy with.  After 15 years of marriage, that is one thing that I'm very grateful for. 

The one big difference in our decision making styles is this.  Once My Hero thinks through the choices, evaluates it, and comes to a conclusion, he is done making that decision.  He doesn't go back and rethink through it or come up with additional questions that may change the decision that was made. 

I, on the other hand, can work through the process and come up with an answer, but the next day I may start to question it again.  At that point, I usually like to bring it back up and rediscuss it.  My Hero is good about entertaining my back and forth decision making for awhile...but sometimes, especially with really big decisions, it drives him crazy that I seem to keep changing my mind. 

He wants to feel confident in the decisions we make and when I start to question things after we had come to an agreement, it is stressful for him.  He will continue to discuss it with me to a certain point, but after a few days of it, he usually tells me that he can't talk about it anymore.  Which I respect.  If I still need to bounce ideas off someone, I tend to call a close friend or my mom to talk through it further. 

Although I seem to waiver as I'm working through it, I always come back to the same decision that we made in the first place.  It just takes me a little longer to be sure that I'm comfortable with the choice that we made. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers