"The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply uncomfortable, unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments, propelled by our discomfort, that we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers." -M. Scott Peck

Monday, August 8, 2011

The Medication Mystery

Mr. Adventure is on a slew of medications for his various diagnoses.  I'm not convinced that any of them work very well, but it seems that we have a combination that keeps a few of his behaviors partly controlled. 

Since we met him 3 years ago, he has changed or added medications many, many times.  Over the past year, we've added a few of the new ones, added and discontinued one, and changed dosages of many about every 2 months. 

When this summer started, we once again made a med change and 2 new ones.  Things had finally started to feel like we had found the right combination.  During all of this, I've been less than happy with our psychiatrist, so recently I made a switch to someone new.  Unfortunately for us, this new dr decides to make more changes to our currently stable dose of meds.

I explained very carefully to him that we did not just pull these numbers out of the air.  We had worked up to the current doses slowly and only because the lower doses did not impact his behaviors.  Well, he decided to make this change anyway. 

One of the meds (a mood stabilizer) was slightly decreased after we discussed it thoroughly.  The other (an anti-anxiety) was taken down to less than half of what he had been on without my consent.  This really irritated me.  Decreasing this med, for a kid with an extreme and crippling anxiety disorder, was disasterous for our family. 

Luckily for us, My Hero was available to go to this last medication management appointment.  He discussed the problems with the psychiatrist and asked for the meds to be returned to their previous doses.  The dr was willing to move one of them back, but argued a little about the other one.  He kept saying, "let's leave it like this a little longer and see how it goes". 

Now, despite how it sounds, I'm not one who likes having my kids medicated.  A few years ago I would have said that I could always find an alternative to medicating my child.  However, I have seen that I was wrong in that assumption.  At this point, Mr. Adventure has to know what it feels like to be 'normal' before he'll ever be able to choose that.  I'm not positive that he'll ever be able to self-regulate....drug exposure in utero seems to have that effect.

Back to dealing with the dr....to his recommendation to 'just see how it goes', My Hero replied "For you, just seeing how it goes only changes the swipe of your pen the next time we see you.  For us, just seeing how it goes means 30 days of living with an unmanageable child, further stressing our already over-stressed family, and decreasing the potential of any positive interactions with this kid.  So, with that in mind, I'm not willing to just see how it goes.  I know how it will go.  We've been on that dose before and lived through the disaster." 

At that, the psychiatrist quietly wrote the Rx for the dose that he was asked.  What a circus is medication thing is!!

1 comment:

Followers