"The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply uncomfortable, unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments, propelled by our discomfort, that we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers." -M. Scott Peck

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Purging the Pantry

Today, while all 5 kids were happily pretending to run a food/superpower/bear catching market, I found time to go through the pantry shelf-by-shelf.  I always attempt to be careful about the ingredients in the foods that I buy, but wanted to be sure to get all artificial food colorings out of our diet.  Mr. Adventure's ADHD & ODD, and the realization that school is starting in 5 short weeks, gave me extra incentive to get his diet squeaky clean.  The last thing I need on the first day of school is to wonder if a food additive contributed to his behavioral challenges.

I was a little nervous when I opened the pantry to get started....I've had 3-5 kids with me every time I've been to the grocery store this summer, so I haven't had the luxury of reading labels very closely.  Surprisingly, I only ended up with 2 paper bags of items that needed to be discarded (in this case, we'll be donating them to the local food pantry).  I was very happy to see that over 90% of what was in there was artificial dye free! 

And in the process, my pantry got super organized....just seeing those neatly lined up items makes me smile every time I open that door!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers